Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Gibberish

It was tough on him. You could tell from his expressions. The tired look, the distant gaze, the confused speech. Was this even a medical condition? Should I give him anti depressants? I looked at him once again. Pain written all over his face. It surely wasn't physical but it was hurting him.

"Rohan, I understand the position you're in right now. Believe me I do. But you aren't the first person in the world going through this. It has happened to all of us at some point or the other."

Did I really mean what I just said? Seriously? Me going through a breakup? Kavita and I were college sweethearts. Forget about breakups, we were so deeply and madly in love back then, we didn't even go through minor fights. Of course, now it was different.

"Do you, doctor? Do you? I don't think so." He sounded agitated, all of a sudden.

Goddamnit I can't be expected to tolerate this shit all day long. I need to get this man some real help. I scribbled the referral request on my pad and handed the note to him. No protests this time, phew!

"I want you to meet Dr. Kumar at the psychiatry department. If you talk to his assistant today, you might be able to get an appointment by end of this week. He's a very busy..."

"So you think I'm crazy now, do you?" He cut me off. "Look dude, I just had the worst breakup ever. The last thing I need is a visit to a fucking psychiatrist."

My patience with my impatient patient was nearing its limit. There were other people waiting outside, who needed more urgent attention. This was no time for chit chat.

"Rohan, better get a grip on yourself and call Dr. Kumar soon. I have other patients as well. If you really want to talk some more, you'll have to wait till I'm done with everyone else."

"I'll wait." He said calmly.

Oh great.

"Fine then. There's a restroom on the second floor. You can wait there. I'll ask Hari to get you a drink."
He left the room.

I was supposed to call my next patient but I didn't. I went to the basin and wet my face with the lukewarm water. It was surprisingly soothing. The warmth of it almost washing away my worries. Almost. Kavita was right. It is I who needed a visit to Dr. Kumar.

No comments:

Post a Comment